Snow goose fuel tank

Discuss all things about Prouts

Moderators: klaus53123, classicone, Brad, moderators

rbrentp

Snow goose fuel tank

Post by rbrentp »

In my recently acquired 1978 Snowgoose the built in fuel tank is a mess. The top is metal but the inside of the tank feels like fiberglass. An odd combination to me. Does anyone know the actual composition and is it accessible other than through the tiny cockpit access? I pumped out the fuel like substance in it and a fiberous material kept clogging filters. The tank doesn't leak but could be fiberglass coming apart. Any information appreciated.
Brent
Timbo

Re: Snow goose fuel tank

Post by Timbo »

that doesnt sound like any fuel tank i have ever seen on a prout. Mine was s/s in the nacelle in front of the engine (Prout 37). The older Prout 35 had tanks either side of engine on the ones i had seen but these were retrofitted from a 35 that orginally had an outboard
classicone

Post by classicone »

Hello,
I'd remove that tank and replace it with a stainless one. George on the Snowgoose Grace replaced his tank with a smaller, but readily available unit. I think his new one is aluminum, but I never really looked at it.

With the new enviromental fuels, I'd rather have a metal tank that can be removed and cleaned than a tank moulded in place.

Let us know how it goes.

Terry
ClassicOne
rbrentp

Post by rbrentp »

Fuel tank update. The tank beneath the cockpit is built in fiberglass. Which would be fine except the alcohol added to our gasoline eats it up pretty badly. My next step is to get into the nacelle pit where the diesel used to be and take my saws all and open up the tank space. Will take measurements and have a SS tank made that fits in the space. I will lose capacity but save space. Guestimate is the tank will from from 28 gallons to 25.
Stray Cat

Post by Stray Cat »

Just responded to your question on outboards. We have 2 plastic tanks, one under to cockpit floor the other under the center hatch in the cockpit (where the diesel engine use to be). Both tanks are around 12 gallons. At this time we only use one tank since are sailing locally only. When we bought the boat the tanks and fuel system weren't in the greatest of shape. Being "portable" tanks it was very easy to remove and clean them. I would think that this would be a less costly and easier system to maintain than having custom tanks made and built in.

Can send photos if you need to see my set up.

Cliff
rbrentp

Post by rbrentp »

Would love to see pictures fin still possible.