Prout 39 movement/flex over cabin entrance next to mast

Discuss all things about Prouts

Moderators: klaus53123, classicone, Brad, moderators

tailrotor

Prout 39 movement/flex over cabin entrance next to mast

Post by tailrotor »

I have a 1995 Prout Escale . I believe it is hull number 33. After being on the hard for 4 years I have finally gotten the opportunity to sail it. Unfortunately, I notice a visible moment or flexing action at the cabin opening nest to the mast. It is also obvious that the cabin door sometimes will close easily and other times it takes a good hard push to get it to close. The movement is apparent under full sails when a down ward force is on the boat typically at the bottom of a wave.
I have read that earlier Prout 39 Escales had squared off cabin entrances and Prout changed the design to the round arch entrance. My boat has the rounded arch entrance but the movement still persists and I question the safety of the structure.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to strengthen the area to prevent flexing? I honestly do not have a clue without tearing into the fiberglass adjacent to the mast at the cabin entrance. I've got enough upgrade projects already and hoped structure/rigging would not become an issue.

Thanks,
classicone

Re: Prout 39 movement/flex over cabin entrance next to mast

Post by classicone »

I wonder...my Quest doesn't flex at all. But, my companionway split door is very, very small. Most problems I have either seen or read about is related to the over all size of the opening. So much so that I have given up on the idwa of enlarging my split doorway.
Excepting Von Wetzel'S CATS PYJAMAS square companionway opening on their 39
tailrotor

Post by tailrotor »

Thanks for the reply...
I have read the stories online about Cats Pajamas and how much effort he needed to get that Prout 39 into shape.
Flexing around the cabin entrance is a relatively new occurrence on my boat. After sitting on the hard for 4 years and only modest adjustments to the standing rigging, cracks in the gelcoat stated to appear around the liner of the cabin entrance . It is almost impossible to tell what is underneath the fiberglass liner surrounding the door. It is in there where the real strength must be built in. I did see a Prout 39 photo online where it appeared the boat had a large stainless steel support that followed the curvature of the opening and was somehow bolted on to structural components underneath.
Capture1.JPG
Capture1.JPG (10.13 KiB) Viewed 27659 times
I doubt my Prout 39 is unique and this issue was addressed by other Escale owners. I was hoping someone would respond to how they addressed the problem or ?? :)
Attachments
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (17.38 KiB) Viewed 27659 times
tailrotor

Post by tailrotor »

I was really hoping a Prout 39 owner would post a reply. Over 1600 views and only 1 reply??
tailrotor

Post by tailrotor »

I do not get it? Over 2500 views, and no replies from a Prout Escale owner. It would be great to hear from another Escale owner, even if they had no idea of a potential solution.
tailrotor

Post by tailrotor »

Over 3500 views -reply = 1