Prout water tanks

Discuss all things about Prouts

Moderators: klaus53123, classicone, Brad, moderators

trustnoone

Prout water tanks

Post by trustnoone »

I am the new owner of a prout snowgoose 37. While tidying up for winter I noticed that the water tanks were still about 1/3 full.
There is a copper pipe poking down into each tank with a filter on the end. However it only goes in so far and leaves a large residual volume of water in the tank.
I can understand not wanting to have the pipe at the lowest point in the tank but so far up seems a bit excessive, however it must have been done for a reason.
I wonder how others have their systems set up???
tailrotor

Re: Prout water tanks

Post by tailrotor »

I have a 39 escale. The water tanks have a pipe that extends to about 1 inch from the bottom. Not much water left after the pumps empty the tank. Do not know why the pipe in your tank would not extend further down.
classicone

Post by classicone »

It it is like mine they are made of soft copper and easily bent closer to the bottom of the tank. Mine have a long slow curve that I've adjusted.
Lotusmantra

Post by Lotusmantra »

If your suction pipe isn't deep enough, use a short piece of hose with I.D. slightly smaller than that pipe. Cut a small length, soften it with hot water and slide it over the pipe. Then cut it off at desired distance from the tank bottom. When it cools, it will stay in place firmly.

I have a 37 Elite with 250 liter keel tanks having an inspection hatch over each of the three baffled compartments. I felt that 500 liters, half a ton, was too much for me. Although those tanks have very good baffles, keeping a smaller amount sloshing around isn't good so I have installed flexible bladders in the aft partitons. They hold about 60 liters each and 120 liters is enough for me. I retained the water tight entegrity so those tanks still double as crash tanks. And I can now store stuff in the other two empty partitions if need be as well.