tablet navigation versus plotter

This forum is for non Prout subjects - for folks with other types of boats or just interested in sailing

Moderators: klaus53123, classicone, Brad, moderators

ritake

tablet navigation versus plotter

Post by ritake »

hi to all

how is using a tablet for navigation,with witch app you using,the satifaction from it or is it better a good plotter?
y hhave seen a sirocco with underhanges rudders,also smaller 7,70metres,can you tell me if there is differents with sailingpermorments
boonzajer

Re: tablet navigation versus plotter

Post by boonzajer »

I use a Sony waterproof tablet with the navionics system called boating. It is quite good. You buy the maps you need and they are not really expensive. Have to renew your subscription every year, unless you download the maps. Good thing is: you can install the system on as many devices you want. Second tablet, phone, whatever - as long as it runs on android. Will not work on normal computer.

There is an apple version as well, works the same and has the same price. Just download boating from the respective store.

Drawbacks: works a bit like a car system. There is no longitude/latitude grid. System is best for close navigation (entering ports etc). For serious planning I use opencpn and c-map. I would not trust boating as a stand-alone system.
alarcas

Re: tablet navigation versus plotter

Post by alarcas »

Hi;
I different option is the one I have:
I build a plotter following the openplotter project with a raspberry pi 3 and 10" screen. That system give more capacities than a normal plotter as wifi router, sensors, etc...See project here http://www.sailoog.com/es/openplotter

Then I connect the plotter in remote to my tablet in cockpit; system uses cmap; also with AIS.
Then another tablet with Navionics to compare..
plus the normal garmin plotter from the boat.

Also I have the chance to connect in remote with my converted 12v tv 19" screen.

Plenty of options...