Prout Quest 31 Rudders wet

If you need help or advice then try this forum

Moderators: klaus53123, classicone, Brad, moderators

gerrybb

Prout Quest 31 Rudders wet

Post by gerrybb »

Has anyone opened up their rudders. A surveyor has condemned my rudders because they have a high moisture content. He thinks the foam filler inside has broken down. I intend to take them off, cut a large panel in the sides remove the wet foam, dry out, refill with new epoxy foam and reinstate the panel. I would like to know if there are any stainless reinforcing webs inside and if there any problems with this approach. Many thanks.
Paulfrench

Re: Prout Quest 31 Rudders wet

Post by Paulfrench »

We did this job...Water does get in, from top or bottom ordinarily...there is no steel in the rudder bottom other than lower pintle. I have totally solved the quest 31 rudder issue and also added 10 % more surface area which has transformed sailing and autopilot performance. Also have bottom drain holes in each rudder although they do not let water in...Also I added bronze top bushes so there is no backlash at all...
gerrybb

Re: Prout Quest 31 Rudders wet

Post by gerrybb »

Thank you for the reply Paul
I have had the rudders removed and cut open in half, as you say there is no steel reinforcement at all only a motley collection of saturated foam filler which has rotted. They have now been rebuilt with Marne ply strengthening webs and filled with epoxy foam filler which will not absorb water then completely sealed reassembled and new gel coats. This was a very expensive job i.e. More than £1600 plus new bushes especially as I have now sold Starquest so the new owner has got a good deal. Many thanks again for your info. Gerry bb