sail drive

If you need help or advice then try this forum

Moderators: klaus53123, classicone, Brad, moderators

tonyd

sail drive

Post by tonyd »

hi everyone my name is tony Dattolo i just enjoyed the phpbb
i live in long island in the city of glen cove ny and i need help buying a new sail drive for a 93 prout snowgoose 37 elite . i just bought this catamaran and i dont know much about it , the reason that i bought it its because i read a lot about it and all the owners talk great about it, is got great review and its perfect to use for transoceanic . if anyone can recommend me where to buy a new one or rebuild the old one i would really appreciate it .
thanks in advance for your help tony
Lotusmantra

Re: sail drive

Post by Lotusmantra »

Hello Tony. I think your boat would have a Sonic Type 2 Catamaran Drive made by Sillette in the UK. Their web page is https://www.sillette.co.uk/index.html Their web page has a download tab where you can find information to download. I find that drive very sturdy and robust and unless severely abused, should last many years with minimum maintenance. The problems usually had are "frozen" yoke pins and grub screws because of being in contact with seawater so much but after you ever have had to disassemble that drive, you will become accustomed to frequent greasing and keeping the unit topped up with gear oil. Sillette always has good advice to offer if you contact them via email. They always supply a catalogue with every separate item of the drive along with replacement prices with every installation which if you didn't receive when you purchased you boat, ask them and they will send one to you.