rpm in reverse with a sonic leg

If you need help or advice then try this forum

Moderators: klaus53123, classicone, Brad, moderators

walkabout

rpm in reverse with a sonic leg

Post by walkabout »

I have Event 34, no. 10, 1990. Now has a Yanmar 3GM30F and a sonic leg. I just noticed that in reverse the throttle limits rpm to 2000 vs 3400 in forward. Is this normal? Maybe the leg or lock is weak? In asking around I've gotten both answers.

I've emailed Sillette but no reply.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

John
Lotusmantra

Re: rpm in reverse with a sonic leg

Post by Lotusmantra »

Hello John. I am assuming you are speaking of engine RPM. If you have a Sillette Type 2 Catamaran Drive, it should be able to handle your engine's highest speeds. The difference of forward and reverse is probably all in the control & linkage mechanism which can be adjusted. I have never had the need nor the desire to see how fast mine would go in reverse. Your drive should have an extra claw lock to prevent the leg lifting in reverse so a high rpm puts a high strain on that claw. I have a 29hp engine with a 2.14:1 ratio transmission and I would never go over 2200 rpm in either direction unless in an extreme emergency. In the absence of wind necessitating use of my engine, I usually only run my engine at 1750 rpm supplying 817 prop rpm which results in a rather slow speed but low fuel usage and a lot less wear and tear on equipment.