Prout37 steering

If you need help or advice then try this forum

Moderators: klaus53123, classicone, Brad, moderators

PMLD

Prout37 steering

Post by PMLD »

I have a Prout 37 and I'm experiencing severe tacking problems. I've tried lots of things, and I now suspect the problem is insufficient rudder angle on full lock, but I'm finding it difficult to obtain information about what the angle should be.

It would be really useful if I could measure the steering angles, and also look at the steering geometry on another Snowgoose, so I'm wondering if any owners would be willing to have me aboard for ten minutes to make the necessary measurements...?

I'm in the Solent area, but would be happy to travel (almost) anywhere, whenever is convenient to you. I'd be very grateful if a fellow Prout owner could oblige, and if so, please either pm me directly or reply to this post.

Thanks!
Lotusmantra

Re: Prout37 steering

Post by Lotusmantra »

My Prout 37 Elite was originally fitted with an 8 inch stroke steering cylinder that took 3-1/2 turns 'lock to lock' resulting in 25.6 degrees maximum rudder angle. I had to replace that cylinder and because an 8 inch wasn't available, I fitted a 7 inch stroke cylinder which now requires 4-1/2 turns or 2-1/4 turns from hard over to center and provides only 23.6 degrees maximum rudder angle. Under engine power, I see no significant change to the turning radius. As for tacking, I don't think it's ability was affected at all.

I owned a monohull before this catamaran and admit that it was a steep learning curve to realize that I was now turning two hulls instead of one. It took me a lot of practice to keep from going into 'irons'. Most truthful catamaran owners will admit that their boats do not go as close to the wind nor tack as easily as monohulls do, but we have many other great characteristics that replace that small discomfort. I've come across some catamarans that are being 'gibed', bringing the stern rather than the bow across the eye of the wind instead of doing a normal tack but that sort of practice is absolutely unnecessary for a Prout 37.
PMLD

Re: Prout37 steering

Post by PMLD »

Thanks for those comments, Lotusmantra.

24 degrees seems to be completely insufficient for the boat to perform properly, as most naval architects would probably recommend 35 degrees as being normal. Mine is 25 degrees, and I can't increase it by using a hydraulic ram with a longer stroke, because the range is limited by the 'tiller arm' (ie the short metal 'tiller' attached to the top of each rudder stock) which hits the side of the hull at extreme angle. The Ackerman angle on my boat is also rather smaller than it ideally should be, but this is probably not directly affecting the boat's ability to tack.

The tiller arms would have to be shorter in order to achieve a larger full lock angle.

I find that tacking is impossible in force 5 or higher with a lumpy sea. Even with the leeward engine going full ahead, the boat will not go head to wind no matter how the sails/sheets are arranged and no matter what techniques are used. It's possible to tack in lighter winds, but it can be very, very slow! I've raised this issue on other discussion forums and had a very mixed response. Some say their boat tacks with no problem and others say they don't sail to windward!

So the only way to make progress is to have a look at the rudder angle and steering arrangements on other Prouts and to correlate this with the boat's tacking ability - hence my question!

If there are any Prout owners out there who would either let me come and take some measurements, or let me know their max rudder angle, along with their perceived tacking ability, I would be really grateful!

Thanks, Peter