Permanent removal of headliner

If you need help or advice then try this forum

Moderators: klaus53123, classicone, Brad, moderators

Lotusmantra

Permanent removal of headliner

Post by Lotusmantra »

I am presently removing and resealing mounting bolts for grab rails, tracks, dodger, cleats, etc. on my 20 year old 37ft Elite. Although no big problem taking down sections of vinyl head liner that's backed with plywood and reinstalling, I am just wondering if anyone has ever just removed all those panels plus all the glued in foam everywhere and just left everything bare to the glass and glassed in balsa. Perhaps then after doing some filling & sanding it could be painted with a high gloss paint up to the two inch glassed edge of the tabbed bulkheads leaving the present varnished woodwork below it as is. I think it would be easier to wipe clean plus there'd be no more drooping headliner to ever take care of again. Mounting bolts would be exposed but any leaks would be noticed immediately. There might be a small reduction in weight as well after all that "monkey fur" was gone and filler & paint was applied in it's place. I've seen monohulls with bare walls and ceilings having the bolts for chain plates, tracks, etc. standing out proud and easy to see. Those interiors looked ok to me and that exposure also gave a sense of security as well. Any thoughts on this matter would be very much appreciated.
Lotusmantra

Re: Permanent removal of headliner

Post by Lotusmantra »

I have asked many people, searched & read about this at other sites and have come up with an answer. First, if Prout Catamarans, as professional as they were had thought this was a good idea they would have done it themselves. Unless one has a very good reason, one must not change things that already work well! The reason for all that vinyl and foam is not just for cosmetic purposes but serves mainly to prevent condensation and mold growing everywhere. I removed all the head liners and found only a small spot of mold and that was in a large void just above the entrance inside the aft staterooms. Everywhere else was clean and dry. I've removed many track and cleat bolts, re-bedded them with Sikaflex 291 and then re-installed back the head liner sections. A couple of panels had some sag from the old glue losing it's grip over the years. I cleaned them and glued back the vinyl to the veneer with contact glue. I live less than 30 degrees latitude where humidity is high and I need that all that foam and vinyl.