Replacing hatches on 1984 quest 33cs

If you need help or advice then try this forum

Moderators: klaus53123, Brad, classicone, moderators

sa1piper

Replacing hatches on 1984 quest 33cs

Post by sa1piper »

Has anyone replaced hatches on an older Prout? As I'm in the US, I'd like to use Lewmar replacements instead of Gebo. It seems like the Lewmar size 60 (22 5/8" square) would fit perfectly for the main hatch, but hate to shell out $700 and find out it doesn't. I've also seen pictures of other Prouts where they turned the hatch around so the hinge is aft which I would think would help with better airflow thru the boat when it's just opened an inch or two. Any thoughts?
classicone

Re: Replacing hatches on 1984 quest 33cs

Post by classicone »

Hello,
I replaced my hatches with the Bomar brand of hatches made in NH. They were of good quality and much cheaper than the Lewmar brand. You can see on my wifes blog (sunstargazette.blogspot.com 2007-2009) that I replaced the one large central hatch over the salon and then installed five other hatches to increase ventilation. It has made all the difference!!!

We lived aboard for 18 months up and down the East Coast with fantastic air flow . I would do it again.

When I replaced the center hatch over the salon, I made up a mount to fit. This mount has a groove routed into it so we can secure a foul weather ventilation cover with elastic cord. The hatches over the center berth, port berth and head open forward and the salon open aft. With our Bimini and dodger and bug screens in place we leave the companionway open most times.

Good luck,

Terry
ClassicOne