Mast Lowering

If you need help or advice then try this forum

Moderators: klaus53123, classicone, Brad, moderators

Davy

Mast Lowering

Post by Davy »

I have recently seen a tabernacle attached to a Snowgoose Elite. Has anyone any experience in lowering and raising a mast?
Davy

Re: Mast Lowering

Post by Davy »

Me again. Surely someone must know of a vessel that has the necessary equipment to do this, or a captain that has the experience?
coleaj

Post by coleaj »

Hi,

I have lowerd masts on prouts,both afloat and ashore, along time ago now. The earlier mast on the snowgoose 37 and quest 31 were conected to the deck via tabernacles (side cheeks with a pivote pin which passed throught the mast. We would use two mainsheet tackles with sufficient line to allow the boom to move verticaly through 90 deg. With the boom inplace (90 deg to mast) held by both a topping lift and the main halyard, attach both block and tackles to the boom with the cleat end to the rear deck mounting mooring cleats. You now have a load control with the boom being held in line to the mast as you lower. Remove the backstays and possibly mast lower shrouds( depending on configuration) loosen cap shrouds to allow movement but not sideways. push mast forward whilst paying out both control lines together. Be ready to place a support to the deck before the mast touches down the last bit is the hardest to control. I remember doing this in a marina birth in Rottadam and then carrying the mast ashore along the pontoons. I would only be comfortable doing this with the original mast lengths, an extended rig would probably be to much unless you increased the boom length and cross section.
Davy

Post by Davy »

Hi Coleaj, much appreciate your information.
To check, you have topping lift and main halyard attached to the back of the boom (double strength). 2 mainsheet blocks and tackles, one to each rear deck mooring cleat, other end to back of boom. Yes I can see that the boom would be kept straight by the two control lines.
Obviously you consider the mounting cleats to be strong enough in a vertical direction.
Did any damage occur to the gooseneck or do you consider that also to be strong enough to take the inward pressure.
Thanks again, now stand back everyone!!
coleaj

Post by coleaj »

Agree with all you asked, the goose neck takes high forward loads in normal use. The mast dropped in rottadam was re fitted the next day at the Amsterdam boatshow (crane lift that time). These days I would look for a crane as a first choice (older head, weaker back) but if contolled is doable as described. Again I have only done this on the original mast length and sections, newer masts may be a larger section and the longer mast will increase both weight and moments.

Good luck
stevemystic

Post by stevemystic »

Hi
I have lowered masts on a Quest 33 and Elite 37. Both had tabernacles. Be very careful with the 37. The loads on the gooseneck are very high and the mechanical advantage with the lines to the aft cleats is small due to the short boom. Once you get down to about 40deg. it is difficult to control. I had a long line from the mast head to the mast head of a friend's boat behind me and controlled this with a winch and some good co-ordination. Have 2 tall, strong guys walking the mast back as you lower. They will definitely be needed for the last few feet. I re stepped it with a crane!

Good luck!