Quest 31' seeking all info

If you need help or advice then try this forum

Moderators: klaus53123, Brad, classicone, moderators

tybee22

Quest 31' seeking all info

Post by tybee22 »

I recently purchased a Quest 31' named Dragonfly and believe it had previously been named Bombadil. I bought it in Miami and took it to Key West. The boat does need a lot of work, but I feel the price was right for what I got and I am able to do all the work myself, just time and money. I am seeking any information that I can on this model. I believe it is hull # 66 and is still rigged with tiller and tie-bar. I would like to convert it to wheel steering and wonder if anyone has made that conversion. I have been searching the internet and have not found a great deal of information on these boats, any and all info would be most welcome.
classicone

Re: Quest 31' seeking all info

Post by classicone »

Hi,
Glad to know someone has purchased the former Bombadil. We looked at her years ago at 2Hulls in Ft Lauderdale.

According to our sail number, we own Quest 31, hull 65. I can't find a VIN anywhere on this hull! Our is a hydraulic steering model from the factory. I can take some pictures for you to look at. If I remember correctly, your tie bar runs across the aft part of the cockpit. My tie bar is internal to the aft deck beam. The connecting rod runs inside this hollow fiberglass "beam" and connects to the rudders by lever arms passing into the hull at the top of the rudder relief in the hull molding. The hydraulic cylinder is accessed by a cutout in the center of the fiberglass beam allowing all of the necessary connections (cylinder to hull mount and then piston to connecting rod and hydraulic lines) to be somewhat protected from the elements.

We are currently sailing down the East Coast and hopefully will be in the Keys this winter. Maybe we can get together.

What else would you like to know??? Chris (moderator) and I both have Quest 31's.

Again, congrats on your purchase

Terry
wife's sailing blog....http://sunstargazette.blogspot.com