RUBBER JOINT SNOWGOOSE 37

If you need help or advice then try this forum

Moderators: klaus53123, Brad, classicone, moderators

MORA

RUBBER JOINT SNOWGOOSE 37

Post by MORA »

One week ago, while anchoring my Snowgoose 37 in a little bay in south Ithaca, I broke the rubber joint which works between the propeller and the Silette sail drive. An engeneer build an metal stuff (really using even a plastic part projected for engine like my Yanmar) and put it between the two flanges. So I finally could move from there safely.
It looked to work quite well, but the vibrations increase dramatically above 1500 rpm and that's really a little scary!
So I'd better replaced such item with the original rubber joint but they told me it's not possible o find it on the market.
Do you know if anyone is still producing it and where I could find such a stuff?
ChrisH

Re: RUBBER JOINT SNOWGOOSE 37

Post by ChrisH »

Not sure where you mean. Is it the flexible coupling between the engine and the saildrive or at the bottom of the saildrive where the propellor is attached (not that I can recall a rubber piece there on our Quest31's saildrive unit)?

Either way Sillette are still going strong and can supply both the flexible coupling and all bits for the saildrive, see http://www.sillette.co.uk/ - try contacting them.

Regards,
Chris
stevemystic

Re: RUBBER JOINT SNOWGOOSE 37

Post by stevemystic »

You have probably already discovered this but if not it may be useful.
It's very important to get the alignment between the coupling and the gearbox drive flange accurate. If you don't' you will have vibrations at higher rpm and excess wear in the transom bearings. The soft mountings on the yanmar engine disguise misalignment but it is still there. Good luck. If you need any advice on alignment get back to me.

Regards

Steve