Quasar, to be or not to be

If you need help or advice then try this forum

Moderators: klaus53123, Brad, classicone, moderators

tolly

Quasar, to be or not to be

Post by tolly »

Hi!
I have for the last 12 years owned a ketch rigged 52" wooden sailing ship, built in Norway 1924. With this, me and my family (wife and four kids) in the summer have sailed around the coasts of Scandinavia. Now we are starting to look for a more suitable sailing vessel, with a safe capability to cross oceans and with good comfort for long time live aboard for two or more. A catamaran then seemes to be the perfect type of boat for our purpose. Since our economy is not good enough to purchase a new boat, we will be looking for used ones. This is a couple of years ahead, but to be fully prepaired when the time comes, we are already trying to find out wich brand and type we will be looking for. Problem is that we don´t have that many cat's in Sweden, so we will probably have to take a trip somewere to get it. Therefor it would be nice with some pos's and neg's from owners or others with knowledge, and perhaps some useful tips.
Probably the most interesting cat we have found so far is the Prout Quasar, but we have only seen it in photos. So I have a few questions to you who has knowledge about this boat:
It looks a bit narrow, small space, in the outside cockpit. Not so much space to sit if you are a few people. Is it a problem? Why did they build it like that?
How does the Quasar act in rough sea offshore?
Is the Q fast, average or slow in sailing speed?
About what size are the beds?
Was the Q mostly built for charter (many beds and heads) or for owner to live in? Chance in finding an "owners version"?
Is there anything else important about the Quasar worth saying, f.ex. any typical problems, that you can share with me?
What is your own general opinion about this boat? Are we on the right track...or not?
Thank you for your help.
Rolf in Sweden
ChrisH

Post by ChrisH »

Hi, talk to MultiHull World - http://www.multihullworld.com - tel +44 (0)1243 377 333. They have a lot of knowledge of Prouts and would be able to help you.

Regards, ChrisH
tolly

Quasar

Post by tolly »

ChrisH wrote:Hi, talk to MultiHull World - http://www.multihullworld.com - tel +44 (0)1243 377 333. They have a lot of knowledge of Prouts and would be able to help you.

Regards, ChrisH
Thanks for the tip. I have now sent them a mail, so I'll se what comes out of that.
Regards
Rolf