Rudders/Steering hook to outboard engine

If you need help or advice then try this forum

Moderators: klaus53123, Brad, classicone, moderators

aimel

Rudders/Steering hook to outboard engine

Post by aimel »

Hi,

On my Prout 34-35, 1973, the previous owner removed the inboard and put a 25HP outboard instead. He also attached 2 cables, one from each rudder, to the rear of the engine so the engine will turn with the rudders.

Unfortunately the cables are dragging in the water, slowing down the boat and catching plants. I like the idea of having both working together when you need it but would like to replace the poor design system with something else.

Any idea anyone?

Rgds
classicone

outboard cables

Post by classicone »

Hi
My Quest has been retrofitted with a similar setup. When my Sillette drive is raised the lines are out of the water. Are yours in the water at all times?

By the way.... You folks looked at Bombadil around the same time as we did....We had the exact same thoughts too...
aimel

Post by aimel »

Hi,
When my outboard is lifted then the lines are out of the water too.
Similar to your Silette I guess.

Agreed BOMBADIL was too much work for us.

I am planning to replace the wires for the outboard and the rudders with cables like on a powerboat. So no more wires with several blocks and lines in the water.

Rgds
marc

Rudder/outboaard connection

Post by marc »

I am a Prout wannabe owner who currently owns a 9M Catalac. I use a single 9.9 Yamaha on the 9M and use lines from the tiller bar(which is driven by a cable steering mechanism and quadrant) via turning blocks to eyes that are bolted to either side of the the aft end of the motor housing just below the cover. As the lines lead is forward of motor, the lines go slack when the motor is tilted but they are high enough to be out of the water. Hope it might be helpful with your situation.

Marc