Staysail for a Quest

If you need help or advice then try this forum

Moderators: klaus53123, Brad, classicone, moderators

ChrisH

Staysail for a Quest

Post by ChrisH »

I think I asked this on the old site but have forgotten the answers - the little grey cells are fading it seems!

We have a Quest 31. Anyone used a staysail with this boat, and what are the opinions about using it? I think it may do very little for speed but may make her more close winded when going to windward.

Any opinions please?

Chris
classicone

staysail

Post by classicone »

Hi Chris, Are you referring to a storm staysail or just a sail made for the inner triangle formed by the stay attached to the cabin top? I have an original staysail from Jeckells. In fact in some conditions I have increased speed 1/2 knot. On the whole it allows me to point almost 10 degrees closer to the wind in light to mild conditions. I think it has to do with smoothing the wind in the "slot", thereby increasing lift. I don't fly it all of the time, but I like it when I do. By the way, this sail is more robust than all of my others which leaves me an option in heavy weather. I have flown it as an experiment and I think it is a very viable option.
Terry
ChrisH

Post by ChrisH »

Hi Terry, I was thinking more of a sail to fill 'the gap' between the genny and the main. Using it as a storm sail as well is a good idea - increases the options as you say.

I've heard somewhere that it 'smooths the slot' and the benefits in speed and pointing ability sounds good. Be interested if others say the same and/or more.

Regards, Chris
Quester

Staysail

Post by Quester »

I hoist my staysail most of the time on my Quest 33 unless down wind. It definately improves the flow over the mainsail and improves both speed and pointing ability. No advantage down wind as it blankets part of the foresail.
Prout Quest 33CS 1986
ChrisH

Post by ChrisH »

Hi Quester = thanks for your comment, sounds good. When I can get some more dough I will get one I think. Sounds like a visit to the Jeckells stand at the Southampton Boat Show is on the cards!

What is your boat name and where are you moored? I see you are Solent based and so are we. Our boat is called 'Seaquince' and we are moored up in Fareham creek. We are away in France until end of May-ish but would appreciate seeing how you rig your staysail on our return.

Chris