Water in nacelle?

If you need help or advice then try this forum

Moderators: klaus53123, Brad, classicone, moderators

classicone

Water in nacelle?

Post by classicone »

It has happened again. Rained the past few days and my nacelle has filled up under the salon. (or is that saloon?) I can't seem to find an obvious place where the water is coming in. Certainly not from overhead. Maybe from the mast step? Is the nacelle open all the way to the engine compartment? Maybe this is how my engine compartment get some water too.
ChrisH

Post by ChrisH »

Hi - yes, the narcelle is open all the way to the engine compartment from the main saloon. I have used fact on my boat that to route wiring to the engine bay, also the engine & gearbox control cables and the drive leg lock release cable go that route too. So if the access hatch on the aft deck is not well sealed and the rain is heavy then water will access the engine bay there, and travel forward

Also, check the big cockpit drain that goes down through the narcelle. If there is a crack around the drain pipe in the cockpit then rain can penetrate into the narcelle there too, if the cockpit is uncovered.

Regards, Chris
classicone

water infiltration from rear engine hatch?

Post by classicone »

Chris, Are you saying that with a heavy rain, the water level on the aft end will get so high that it can food into the engine compartment? I haven't been onboard when it has rained that hard. Didn't realize that the level could get that high.
ChrisH

Post by ChrisH »

Terry Hi,
If there is heavy rain and it is coming at the stern then it pours down the slope that is the back of the cockpit. It is worse if, like us, you have an all over cockpit enclosure. The rain can rise along the front end of the engine bay hatch if it can't clear away fast enough and trickle over the hatch upstand if, again like us, the hatch seal isn't good!

Also, the front detachable engine bay cover could let in water if it is exposed to the elements and it is not a good fit. This hasn't happened to us, but rain through the back hatch has come in - not often and only a little.

Most of our leaks into the engine bay came in through the cable gland for the drive leg lock release which I had forgotten to seal. Its pretty dry in the engine bay now, but we do get moisture in from time to time and I can never trace where its come from for sure, but if you get it into the engine bay then it can get into the saloon when the boat moves.

regards, Chris
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Hi,
There is a direct route from the saloon to the eng compartment on most models of Snowgoose. If the fuel tank is grp it will be below the tank. If you take up the sole in the saloon you will probably be able to push a wire right throu to the eng compartment. If your nacelle transom is above the water line drill a drain hole at the lowest level of the transom. This will make both the eng compartment and the saloon self draining.

Dixie
ChrisH

Post by ChrisH »

Hi Dixie,
Drilling a small hole in the transom may not be a good idea. I failed to seal the hole where the drive leg lock release cable went through the transom - which is about half way up from memory - and I used to get sea water coming through the hole at times, so beware!

ChrisH
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Hi CrisH,

I did say "if" your nacelle transom is above the wateer line. Mine is above and there is a 9mm drain hole at the very bottom and angled downwards. That hole makes the entire nacelle self draining. If you have an overweight prout, not uncommon, then forget the drain hole.
Dixie
ChrisH

Post by ChrisH »

Hi Dixie,
Yes my transom is above the water line, bar the bottom inch or two, when at rest. The cable for the drive leg lock is at least a foot above the static water line. But it's when we are under way and waves slap against the transom, or the transom rises and falls with the waves, that the odd trickle comes in. Not a lot, but enough to wet the bottom of the engine bay.

We also get water into the the bottom of the cockpit as well at times - and especially when going astern - as the cockpit drain which is a big one is also just in the wet stuff. Hence the need to check, if you are getting water into the narcelle, that the cockpit drain pipe is still properly attached and hasn't developed a crack anywhere - which is what happened to a friends boat.

ChrisH