Prout powered by?

If you need help or advice then try this forum

Moderators: klaus53123, classicone, Brad, moderators

classicone

Prout powered by?

Post by classicone »

We've lost the thread about Prouts with outboards.... so I'll open this up to all users. Please tell me what power unit you have. I have a 1980 Quest 31 with a Bukh DV20 with Sillette drive.
Brad

Power

Post by Brad »

I just installed a Yanmar 3YM30 with a 2.62 transmission gear ratio to replace the 3HM35. I am still looking for the right propeller -- using a 15 x 12 but I think the 15 x 13 might give better performance. I did not notice any drop in performance and losing almost 100 pounds of weight was nice.

I have a Snowgoose Elite.
Terry Reeve

Post by Terry Reeve »

I have a 1981 Quest 31 and have recently replaced the engine with a Vetus Marine Diesel M3.28. Which works really well all be it a little noisy.

Regards,
Terry.
aimel

My engine

Post by aimel »

I have a petrol Honda 25HP, 4 strokes, installed by the previous owner on my Prout Snowgoose 35 1973.
We sailed it from Florida to Quebec without any problem but water in one of the tank.
We did not face very rough weather so I cannot tell if 25HP is enough power or not facing wind in a choppy sea.
We could easily cruise at 5-6 knots without pushing the engine.
Rgds
Russhan

Re: Prout powered by?

Post by Russhan »

Our Prout Quest 31 has twin Volvo Penta 18 hp diesels 2002 model
Lotusmantra

Re: Prout powered by?

Post by Lotusmantra »

My 1996 Prout 37 Elite has a Yanmar 3JH2E 35 hp engine, 2.14 to 1 gearbox, Sillette MK2 drive with 15" x 10" LH prop. I have broken that Sillette steering yoke twice, once fouled with a rope and once with a fishing net while motoring with what I considered normal engine speed. I later took & recorded much fuel usage verses engine rpm data information and found the most economical fuel usage was with 1750 engine rpm which equals 1.33 liters/hr providing 818 rpm propeller speed. Discarding current, wind and bottom cleanliness factors as close as possible, this engine rpm enables a 4.0 knot boat speed resulting in 0.333 liters per nautical mile fuel usage. Slow, yes, but these boats are 'sailing' boats and if I do get becalmed and must use the engine to get somewhere, 4 knots in 24 hours is nearly 100 nautical miles and 4.0 knots is usually fast enough for getting in and out of harbors! Sure, at times, I increase the speed for short durations if necessary like say some precarious encounter with another vessel or transiting a canal with a minimum speed but the bottom line to this slow motoring speed that I have adopted is not just prudent fuel usage, it also means increased engine life and more importantly, that engine will now "STALL" whenever I get debris wound around the propeller thus preventing another broken steering yoke!