Sirocco rudder alignment.

If you need help or advice then try this forum

Moderators: klaus53123, classicone, Brad, moderators

multihullmalc

Sirocco rudder alignment.

Post by multihullmalc »

I notice that the rudders on my recently acquired Sirocco are not parallel, and need adjusting. I can see that they are connected via car type track rod ends and a long tie rod.
Access to the track rod ends is via small round hatch at aft end of quarter berths. Would only be able to get one hand in there. There were a couple of old track rod ends in a box of old parts on board, and I think it looks like they might have opposite threads to each other? Anyone know how to adjust effective length of the tie bar? Maybe lock nuts where tie bar enters track rod, so if slackened, would allow tie road to be rotated? Any advice help gratefully received?
Mal
classicone

Re: Sirocco rudder alignment.

Post by classicone »

Welcome to the forum.
Hydraulic steering or mechanical?
Each end of the connecting rod can be adjusted by loosening the locknut and rotating the shaft or end fitting. The shaft itself might also rotate for adjustment depending on connections. Before you do any adjustment though, I would watch the trailing wake when moving through the water. Some toe in (technical term refering to centerline measurements before and after the rudderstock or pivot point) is usually set for straight line performance. Watching the wake at the rudders will tell you if there is drag induced from the rudder adjustment. Also when turning there is some geometry applied so each rudder will be tracking a different radius circle (ackermann effect). These terms are well defined in the wiki site if needed.
Always apply small adjustments and then go out on the water. Some manufacturers do their final adjustments this way just prior to delivery as each boat has very small differences in water flow. You want to slip through the water with minimal drag from your rudders. Have fun!
Terry