33' Quest for sale in Bahamas - Anyone seen her?

If your Prout is for sale or you are looking to buy one then this is the forum for you

Moderators: klaus53123, classicone, Brad, moderators

bobmcreynold

33' Quest for sale in Bahamas - Anyone seen her?

Post by bobmcreynold »

I have been think about making a trip to look at the 1986 Prout 33' Quest for sale in the Bahamas. It will be an expensive trip and don't completely believe the information that is being reported. Has anyone on this website looked at the boat? Any comments, good or bad, would be a great help. Please email me at rwmcreynolds@yahoo.com with comments. If I make the trip and the boat seems ok, a marine surveyor will be hired to inspect the boat.
Thanks,
Bob
classicone

Re: 33' Quest for sale in Bahamas - Anyone seen her?

Post by classicone »

Hello Bob,

Are you talking about the "maintained by a marine engineer" Bahamas boat?

I have been watching the above boat for at least a couple of years. I like to view the Prout Quest boats available.....I have a Quest 31 and always look for new ideas.

That being said, the asking price on this boat has recently taken a hit. For a long time it was more like $99K.

Looking at the pictures, there has been a few additional hatches added, the interior has been redone... but not too tastefully..Ooops..I guess it depends on what your like!

Let me know what you find out.

Terry
bobmcreynold

Post by bobmcreynold »

Terry,
That's the boat. I called on the boat about two years ago when it first came on the market for about $80k. Some thing the broker told me about the boat didn't make sense, plus the price, so I never when and looked at it. I purchased another sailboat and just sold it. Looking for another sailboat and a Prout 31, 33, 34, or 37 is tops on the list.
Thanks,
Bob
ChrisH

Post by ChrisH »

Having just checked this boat out on the net I would agree with Terry's observations!

Judging by UK prices she seems a tad expensive still, especially as VAT would need to be paid if the boat was to come to the UK.

Chris
classicone

Post by classicone »

Hello Bob,
I just checked out the ad again. Looks like she has been on the hard for awhile. Can you share what the broker said? I am intrigued.

I did used one of his ideas, I installed an additional 5 hatches in my cabin top and deck. I can now breath in the cabin during the summer heat. And NC can get pretty hot and humid!

I have always liked the idea of the frig/freezer under the starboard aft berth, I just could never find a mould for one, so I have built an insulated case for one of the ultra 7 day coolers and installed it instead and use our Waeco refrig/freezer to freeze ice paks and transfer them to the cooler every few days.

Good luck on finding your Prout!

Terry
ChrisH

Post by ChrisH »

Terry,
We have also installed extra hatches, one in the 'bathroom' and one above the galley. We have another one to fit in the Stb. Fwd. cabin. Where did you put the rest of yours?

We bought a fridge compressor/evaporator unit 3 years ago and just got round to fitting it. The intention was to build a 'built-in' fridge but when it came to it couldn't find the space - our Stb.Aft cabin is a storage cabin not a sleeping one, no room in the galley, couldn't be bothered to use under the Stb.Fwd bunk plus I use that for spares and tools storage. Then a month ago I spotted our local chandler selling the American Igloo cool-boxes, supposed to hold ice for 4 days at 90 deg.F. So bought the 51 litre one, put the evaporator plate in that, put the box across the doorway of the Stb.Aft cabin where it's handy for the galley, mounted the compressor on the bulkhead beside it and bingo, it works a treat, chills the beers nicely and the milk/butter doesn't go off overnight. Even makes ice cubes for Marie's gin and tonics, a bonus, can't be bad! We also have a Waeco fridge/freezer, a 40l one, now redundant!

Chris
classicone

Post by classicone »

Hi Chris,
We installed two hatches in the deck, one forward the head and one in the forward starboard berth. Then in the cabintop we mounted one over the double berth, just forward on the existing hatch over the salon table, and one over the galley and one over the chart table.

I'm now trying to figure how to increase the air flow out of the aft cabins. Like you, our starboard aft is used as storage and like you we installed the cooler crosswise with the frig/freezer just aft of that. I'm still fitting out the additional insulation and box for the cooler. Hopefully by next week!

This week finds me finishing the battery box and installing it crosswise in the port aft berth well. We are going to upholstery the top as a cushioned seat. I have also been rebuilding the cabin entrance door. Ugh. I cut off the rotted section and fitted replacement ply and am now varnishing. I got too impatient and tried to recoat too fast..... caused a crackling effect. alot of sanding and wailing and gnashing of teeth and a few choice words to boot.

Terry
ChrisH

Post by ChrisH »

Hi Terry,
We were thinking of a hatch over the chart table and maybe one over the double berth in the saloon, but smaller than the main hatch. Our hatches over the fwd cabins are on the coachroof. In the 2 aft cabins was thinking of maybe a small hatch on the ends facing astern, like the 33's and 34's have if I could get one to fit, but for now the 2 windows onto the cockpit suffice - guess we don't get it as hot and steamy as you do in NC!

Fitted the battery bank under the chart table, relocated from the engine room, to get the weight more into the middle of the boat, plus there they are easy to keep an eye on. Have now 3 x 110ah domestics and a 'AGM' battery, an Odyssey PC680 - American, for the engine start. This battery is excellent, can be fitted any way up just about and is so small, replaced an 85ah 'normal' battery and has had no trouble with our 3cyl 20hp diesel. It's just "fit 'n forget"! The engine has a 65 or 70 amp, forget which, alternator to charge them, plus we have a Ampair 100 wind generator to keep them topped up when we are away from the boat. The windy gennie is a serious beast, 4 amps from 18knots wind!

We have a diesel fired air heater in the stb aft cabin which is piped to all cabins which works really well when it's cold, and a largish hot water calorifier at the back of the cabin too. It's heated by the main engine water system, but I have a diesel fired water heater to fit to heat the calorifier for those times when the engine isn't running and we need hot water. Fitting that heater is the next project. Hopefully it will go in the engine room without getting in the way.

Liked your idea of the cushioned topped box in the port aft cabin - got me thinking.......there's extra storage there! Another job looming!

Not that any of this has anything to do with a 33' Quest for sale in the Bahamas...........

Chris