BULBOUS BOW

Discuss all things about Prouts

Moderators: klaus53123, classicone, Brad, moderators

jfcjfc

BULBOUS BOW

Post by jfcjfc »

I saw a front bulbous bow (two) on Prout.
Do you know any prout that sails with front bulbous bow ?
How do they perform?

old sailor/owner of a old QUEST 33CS , tomorrow owner of the escale 39 or broadblue 38 ?
tailrotor

Re: BULBOUS BOW

Post by tailrotor »

I saw an advertisement for an Escale with the bulbous bow. Boat name "WINGS" part of the listing described the bow and stern:
"Designed by Prout, a bulbous system for each hull was installed along with extensions of the stern for balance, creating a longer water line and excellent sailing characteristic and eliminating the slapping prevalent in most solid forward deck catamarans. Another welcome addition was much better performance upwind"

Web site was: http://www.boatersresources.com/boat-fo ... sed-392212

I have no personal experience with them.
Attachments
wings.jpg
wings.jpg (48.32 KiB) Viewed 25561 times
tailrotor

Post by tailrotor »

Prout 37 with bulb bow for sale
Attachments
prout 37 bow.JPG
prout 37 bow.JPG (66.18 KiB) Viewed 25547 times
skywilliams

Post by skywilliams »

I am the current owner of Wings. The original owner had the bulbous bows as well as stern extensions. I have owned the boat 2-3 years and have other responsibilities so not near as much time to complete numerous repairs and upgrades. As a result I have sailed little but that is coming soon. I can tell you the boat with twin 3YM30s will run about 6-7 mph @ 2000 RPM with little opposing current, 4-5 mph @ 2000 RPM with 5-7 knot opposing current, and 8-9 mph @ 2000 RPM with current from behind. In my book that's swift for 2000 RPM and I believe the bulbous bows / stern extensions are responsible.
QuestQuery

Post by QuestQuery »

The picture of Dragonfly shows bulbous bows that look identical to ones on our first cat - a Dean 365. They were simply fixed on with Sikaflex which worried me a little. I spoke to Peter Dean, the builder, by telephone and he said that they should only be fixed with Sikaflex - screws were absolutely forbidden. He also said that of 4 boats that had lost one or more (whales, containers, etc), none had suffered any damage to the hulls themselves and that they were essential to minimise porpoising. We now have a Prout and I have noticed a tendency for the bows to bob up and down rather more than the Dean - so I'm thinking that bulbous bows might be beneficial.