Prout rudder

Discuss all things about Prouts

Moderators: klaus53123, classicone, Brad, moderators

bikesanddanes

Prout rudder

Post by bikesanddanes »

Does anyone have either a rudder for sale, a mould to make one, or plans or words of wisdom for snowgoose 37 rudder.
I need to replace a missing one.
Many thanks Ken
Osterizer5

Re: Prout rudder

Post by Osterizer5 »

Ken, did you ever find a rudder mold? I’m looking at rudder work/replacement on mine.

Thanks
Dave
bikesanddanes

Post by bikesanddanes »

Hello Dave,
I ended up making a mould, which has successfully made me 2 new ones.
I have my one original rudder available and/or the mould .
My number is 079500 16984
Rgds ken
Serenity

Post by Serenity »

Hi Ken,
I don't know whether you can help me out.
I am needing to replace the bushes/ bearings on my rudders, but the boat is 4000 miles away, so I am not able to get any measurements. I didn't know whether you could give me any measurements that would be relevant from your rudder molds? I look forward to hearing from you 👍😊
bikesanddanes

Post by bikesanddanes »

Good Evening Serenity,
I'm not sure which model you have, looking round the yard prout have used many variations thru the model range I have a snowgoose 37 of 1980 vintage.
I replaced like with like on the stainless post using 1" shaft . I then got two tufnol blocks and drilled the centre to fit the 1" rudder post. The ball shaping to fit the hole in the hull I achieved using a angle grinder with a sandpaper flat wheel being very cautious and plenty of trial fits to ensure a good tight fit therefore no rattle once in a seaway.
If you need any more info I will be back down on my boat in 4 weeks and can give you measurements and photos
Rgds ken
Serenity

Post by Serenity »

Hi Ken,
Thank you for getting back to me so quickly.
That is really helpful, mine is a 1979 Snowgoose, so I would imagine it is the same.
The measurements and photos would be great thanks, then I can hopefully get the parts I need to take out with me.
Thanks again
Simon