Show me your emergency tiller

Discuss all things about Prouts

Moderators: klaus53123, classicone, Brad, moderators

mikedefieslife

Show me your emergency tiller

Post by mikedefieslife »

Anyone with a Snowgoose 35 (suppose a 37 would do) care to show me their emergency tiller and its attachment point on the boat?

Insurance are getting finicky (probably rightly so), so might have to get one made up.
classicone

Re: Show me your emergency tiller

Post by classicone »

Mike, is your rudder hydraulic or mechanical? The older Snowgoose I have seen are mechanically driven. Can you easily disconnect the rudders? Terry
mikedefieslife

Post by mikedefieslife »

Hydrauic with a fluid tie bar.

I can disconnect the starboard rudder.

There is no provision for a tiller so at present I have no emergency steering. Made for a hairy passage to Sardinia when I sprung a hydraulic leak on one of the rams in 20 plus knots.
Doctor D

Post by Doctor D »

Mike:

Did you ever get an answer? I have the same problem. Emergency tiller but lack knowhow to use it. Would have helped me too in the middle of Lake Michigan. Thank God for the Coast Guard and Tow Boat US. WOULD HAVE COST ME $2,000 for the tow but I had unlimited towing so it cost me $0.00.
classicone

Post by classicone »

My emergency tiller directly connect to the rudder. I need to disconnect the rudder tie bar from the hydraulic ram so the rudder moves freely.
The older Snowgoose 34-35 I'm familiar with have mechanical connections and would need to be disconnected from the steering shaft to cause the rudder to turn freely.
The 37 Snowgoose looks like the rudder would be accessed from a deck plate or the tie bar in the middle of the stern deck. Can you post a picture of your emergence tiller arm?
Terry
Doctor D

Post by Doctor D »

Tried several times to upload photo of emergency tiller but it keeps being rejected. Perhaps I could send it to your direct email. You can contact me at greggdennhardt@gmail.com if this is a possibility. Gregg
Doctor D

Post by Doctor D »

Attached is a .jpeg photo of my emergency tiller. It is about 10' long and stainless.The connecting end is a 1" square hole. It surely must fit on something but I can find no connection point on the rudders or in the access to the tie bars. I suspect that it has never been installed. Does anyone have an idea show it might be put on? I lost my hydraulic steering last summer and had to be towed back to my slip. The cost would have been $2,200 but I had Boat US unlimited towing so bill was fortunately $0.00. Still, with the emergency tiller attached, I could have returned myself. As a result I would really like to be prepared when the steering goes out again (which I'm sure sometime it will).

Doctor D (Gregg)
classicone

Post by classicone »

rsz_1rsz_tillertest.jpg
rsz_1rsz_tillertest.jpg (71.31 KiB) Viewed 40937 times
tiller jpg
mikedefieslife

Post by mikedefieslife »

You have a 37 right? That looks like it fits directly onto the top of the rudder stock. The 37s I have seen have a little round hatch in the hull above the rudder for attaching the tiller.