spinnaker

Discuss all things about Prouts

Moderators: klaus53123, classicone, Brad, moderators

Petersemple

spinnaker

Post by Petersemple »

Dear all

Just bought a Sirocco 26 and have a good many questions but will start with one about the spinnaker that has come with the boat. Unused by previous owner but in good condition, new. Symmetrical in shape but labelled "clew" and "tack". I am very keen to use and did give it a go in very light winds last weekend but unsure how to rig. Tried in asymmetric mode with tack tied to anchor roller and sheet just taken back to winch and in symmetrical mode with two sheets back to winches but overall not sure what I was doing ! The boat has a spinnaker pole and mast fitting but cannot see how this would fit at all and from my monohull experience am very keen not to use a pole.
Any suggestions /advice welcome ?
Pete Semple
classicone

Re: spinnaker

Post by classicone »

Hello Peter, Congratulations on your catamaran purchase and welcome to the Association

On my boat I use either a bridle connected to both the Genoa tack and either hull's forward cleat. I then use a pulley system to adjust the foot so it is above the rails parallel to the water. I can raise and lower and move the tack from one side to the other this way.

You could use a pole from the mast to the tack with all of the associated lines to control it. Or maybe something similar to the ATN Tacker. Here is a link to Forespar that has a diagram of a spinnaker pole a lines
http://www.forespar.com/spinnaker-pole.shtml

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Terry
Petersemple

Post by Petersemple »

Terry.
A downwind run at last. The sheet is easy and comes back to the jib block and winch with no problems. For straight downwind the tack just went on to the windward front hull cleat and for more on the beam through the anchor bow roller and to the anchor cleat. This tack line was not really adjustable , I just set it about two feet above guard rail. There was a fair bit of contact between the tack line and guard rail but it did not seem to be a problem and I cannot really see how to avoid it unless I fit a bowsprit ( not going to happen).
To gybe I would just walk sheet round to other side or use the " snuffer" to depower and walk sheet to other side. It's the first time I have had a kite with a " snuffer" and recommended.
Pete
Devaney

Post by Devaney »

Congratz on your purchase Peter. Are you pleased with the catamaran? I'm looking into getting the same one.
Make sure to protect yourself with NordVPN when you're online.