Fitting a Bowsprit to a Prout 37 Elite 1997

Discuss all things about Prouts

Moderators: klaus53123, classicone, Brad, moderators

GM0FFB

Fitting a Bowsprit to a Prout 37 Elite 1997

Post by GM0FFB »

Hi Guys,
we have just purchased a Prout Elite 37 1997 and were thinking of fitting a Selden Bowsprit to take a screecher.
Has anybody experience of fitting a Bowsprit to the Prout Elite 37 and if so were there any problems and is the Selden Bowsprit the best one to fit, or are there other alternatives?
Fair winds
Stephen, Suella & Iain - 2-Blue
GM0FFB

Re: Fitting a Bowsprit to a Prout 37 Elite 1997

Post by GM0FFB »

Hi Guys,
me again. I am now considering making up a bridal to be taken from either bow and secured by a central strop to the bottom of the furler. Has anybody experience of rigging a furling chute this way on a Prout 37 Elite?
Regards
Stephen
Kouba

Re: Fitting a Bowsprit to a Prout 37 Elite 1997

Post by Kouba »

Hi

I did a similar mod with a Summer Twins using bridles to a short alloy bowsprit ... but I was able to use existing "dolphin stay" mounting points on the hull, so the additional stresses were all taken to known strong points

I have been thinking about making the same modification myself and had even thought about using a carbon spar as this could potentially be mounted on (or maybe under) the deck without using extra rigging wires.

Whichever way we go we need to make sure the loads are properly distributed into the structure so nothing bends or breaks

Would be interested to see what you decide ..I may cheat and copy you ( one you have used it for a while !! :D )

Trevor