My "new" Snowgoose #175

Discuss all things about Prouts

Moderators: klaus53123, classicone, Brad, moderators

Heidilynn

My "new" Snowgoose #175

Post by Heidilynn »

Hi, I just bought a one-owner, fresh water Snowgoose 'day sailer'. From all the info I can find, she was shipped to
Illinios and used very sparingly out of Chicago. She is unchanged from the way she was delivered - no electronics, a tiny propane refrigerator, a head, a stove, a VHF and that is about all - simple, beautifully simple! I have always said I wanted a cat with nothing more than I had on my Pacific Seacraft Flicka (cruised aboard 5 years) - well I found it in this boat.

My immediate projects before launching are:
1. Take bottom down, epoxy, bottom paint with appropriate saltwater paint (CSC).
2. Clean interior, cushions, bilges, water tanks, etc.
3. Replace rotted rub rails.
4. Reseal all deck fittings.
5. Repair Sillette seals

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on these projects and on Snowgoose ownership in general. I love what I see in this boat but my experience has been in small monohulls so I have a lot to learn.

My plan is to finish the projects on the hard then sail thru the Great Lakes to NY Barge C. And to Florida by end of fall 2012.

Thanks for any help you might afford, look forward to meeting you.

Fair winds,
dennis
Sailorman

Re: "new" Snowgoose #175

Post by Sailorman »

Denis,
Congradulations on your new boat. Is this a 37 or the 34/35? Would love to see some pictures of an original boat. Sounds like quite a find.
Ed
Classic Cleavage
1974 Prout 34 Snowgoose
PVAurochs

Re: My "new" Snowgoose #175

Post by PVAurochs »

Dennis,

Sorry, I missed your post earlier. I'm sure you have done a lot of work on your Prout by now but, just in case you are still wondering about your rub rails -- I did mine a couple of years ago. You can see the pictures at this site:

http://www.pleasurevesselaurochs.blogspot.com/

As you can tell, I am not a very good blogger.

Best -- Tom
Heidilynn

Post by Heidilynn »

Hey Tom,

Thank you for your note - I did look at you progress notes on rub rails and much appreciated your helpful info. I have finished my rails and have enjoyed the project quite a lot. The more I work on my Prout and see the details of construction the (even) more I like her. Winter is fast approaching up here in the frozen north so projects will lapse into planning mode soon.

d
PVAurochs

Post by PVAurochs »

So, Dennis, what happened to your plans to be heading toward sunny Florida by now?

Tom
Heidilynn

Post by Heidilynn »

Alas, Tom, grandkids - being so close (Iowa) to the Great Lakes, we decided on a summer of sailing with the grandkids on the Great Lakes, then late summer next season to head south. So many choices! All good.

And where are you for the winter??

Fair winds,
D
PVAurochs

Post by PVAurochs »

Our home port is Flag Harbor Yacht Haven, St. Leonard, MD. We'll be doing some skiing through the winter and will resume boating in the spring. I always think I will be accomplishing all the needed boat projects over the winter but actually get to very few. Retirement is SO busy!

Tom