Sillette drive leg Yoke pins (seized)

Discuss all things about Prouts

Moderators: klaus53123, classicone, Brad, moderators

Mellow Yellow

Sillette drive leg Yoke pins (seized)

Post by Mellow Yellow »

Hi, struggling with what I think is a common problem.

The Mk1 sillette cat drive on our Quest has been left to seize and won't steer now. So, this winter the plan is to remove it and bring it home to strip downs and clean out.

However, although the two grub screws retaining the ss pins, that hold the yoke to the plate that is mounted to the nascelle, came out with some persuasion the two pins a re seized- to the plate / bracket bolted to the nascelle.

I wondered if anybody had any advice other than heat, tapping and plus gas? I'd appreciate any advice on servicing the leg!

Hope to hear from someone, thank you and best wishes

Chris
svgeru

Re: Sillette drive leg Yoke pins (seized)

Post by svgeru »

I would suggest you give Sillette a shout - they have some of the best technical support I've ever had. The phone number is on their website.

Geoff.
Mellow Yellow

Post by Mellow Yellow »

Thanks for the reply.
rumreds

Post by rumreds »

When I bought Footloose in August this year the Sillette leg was seized solid. Brent marine in Newport IOW dismantled it with an extractor tool. They have put grease nipples on all the relevant joints so although there are no grease rings I can pump grease in till it comes through to the ends of the aluminium casting on the stainless shaft . Works perfectly up till now.
Mellow Yellow

Post by Mellow Yellow »

rumreds wrote:When I bought Footloose in August this year the Sillette leg was seized solid. Brent marine in Newport IOW dismantled it with an extractor tool. They have put grease nipples on all the relevant joints so although there are no grease rings I can pump grease in till it comes through to the ends of the aluminium casting on the stainless shaft . Works perfectly up till now.

Thanks very much. Everything is dismantled now, with some excellent advice from Brent Marine. Best wishes with your refit.

Chris