Sailing Characteristics of 37 ft Snowgoose Elite

Discuss all things about Prouts

Moderators: klaus53123, classicone, Brad, moderators

john&nicolawalters

Sailing Characteristics of 37 ft Snowgoose Elite

Post by john&nicolawalters »

I am just getting to grips with this boat and could do with some advice on sailing in strong winds. Although I am assured the boat is very stable I am concerned about capsize.
At what wind speeds should I reef?
Does anyone have ideas for weak linkages in the main and genoa sheets designed to fail before a capsize becomes possible?
John Walters
classicone

Re: Sailing Characteristics of 37 ft Snowgoose Elite

Post by classicone »

Hello,
Although I'm not expert on any Prout... I do own and sail a Quest 31. I find that on my 31 I can sail quite nicely on the stock configuration up to about 15 kts and then put in a reef on the jib. There is always the balancing of the sails after this point.

As always, there is the question of sail size, age of sails, point of sail and whether you have your staysail up.

Was your Elite built with a taller rig?

Lastly, I think you will find that common sense actions will prevent a capsize of a Prout Catamaran. You would have to be doing something awfully foolish to approach a condition anywhere near that which would cause your Prout to go over. That said, I think you could pitch-pole your cat much easier than fly a hull and have it go over. I can only think of one instance where a Prout capsized. Don't take this a gospel, but our boats are very much underpowered compared to other cats. And Prouts are not known to be "light" boats. Especially in cruising trim.

Terry
stevemystic

Post by stevemystic »

I have owned prout cats for 40 years and my Snowgoose Elite for 19 years. I have crossed the Atlantic twice in her. At no time have I ever been concerned about a capsize, even in an Atlantic gale. You would have to be beating with full sail in 30knots plus and bear away onto a reach to get enough centrifugal force to turn one of these boats over. If you have a rudder angle indicator that's a good guide as it's not always apparent that you might be overpressed. 10 degrees of weather helm is enough and an indication it's time to reef. As a rule of thumb when on the wind, put a few turns in the genoa at about 15-18 knots apparent . Say 5 or 6 rolls and the first main reef at 22 to 25 and more again at 27 knots. Off the wind you can increase these wind speeds. In rough seas you may need to reef sooner. In 35 knots try a very small jib, full staysail and double reefed main. She can plod along in really tough conditions like that. Running before the wind, drop the main completely and just let her go with full genoa up to about 35 knots true by which time you should be approaching double figures in boat speed. Enjoy her. Look after her and she will look after you. Happy sailing!
gunend

Post by gunend »

I have not sailed the elite model but we have had a pre elite snowgoose for the last ten years. We have crossed the Atlantic in her each way.
Our Snowgoose has a taller than standard rig. The original snowgoose had a rig of about the hull length so most had a mast of 37ft. Ours is 45ft. I think many of the Elites had a similar size mast.
We have only had one dodgy moment in our Snowgoose in ten years sailing and probably 30,000 miles. Crossing from Portugal to Maderia we had F7 on the beam and big seas. We had a very small staysail and two reefs in the main and were sailing well on autopilot at about 7 knots. A few large waves were slapping us hard on the hull as they went under us. The seas were unusually large for this wind strength. We were at the point where I was thinking we need to do something else as these seas were getting dangerous when one wave doing twice the speed and twice the hieght came out of nowhere and we slide sideways down the face of the wave. The wave eventually passed under us and we broke off the back of the wave. This was the closest we have ever come to going over. It wasnt a case of too much sail it was simply a rogue wave and sea conditions. The Snowgoose did what she was designed to do and slide sideways. If we had off had daggerboards I suspect we would have rolled over.

If we keep our Snowgoose a light a possible she will outsail most other live aboards of a similar length whether mono or cat. We know cos we did this all around the Caribbean. We have seen the benifit of this and since our return to UK we have lightened her with foam core under the bunks etc when previuosly this was heavy ply.
If you want to carry tonnes of gear buy a mono. Most Prout cats we see are over loaded and sail poorly. The Elite is about a tonne heavier than the Pre- Elite but carrys weight better. The Pre Elite is better to windward