top of rudder post doo-hickie questions

Discuss all things about Prouts

Moderators: klaus53123, classicone, Brad, moderators

debinseattle

top of rudder post doo-hickie questions

Post by debinseattle »

I'm currently in the boatyard getting ready to resplash my new to me Prout 33cs. Surveyor found corrosion in the nuts on the rudder fasteners at the top of the rudder post - not sure what this thing is called but in looking through the inspection port, the fitting has the square piece on top for the emergency tiller, 2 bolts and the aft one slides through 2 sleeves. One of the sleeves is badly corroded and cracked.

First of all, what is this part called? I want to call it a post fitting but I'm a reformed monohull sailor and haven't seen anything quite like this (most of my boats have been tiller steered) and so far web searches to find anything close to this part have failed miserably - I want to make sure I have my terminology correct!

Secondly, and I think I know the answer, is there anyplace that might source these or is it another trip to the fabrication shop? If fabrication is the answer, has anyone modified them? I don't have an emergency tiller aboard and thinking it might be wise to extend the square a little higher than it's current level to get a little more grip and fabricate an emergency tiller at the same time.....??

Thanks!!!!
classicone

Re: top of rudder post doo-hickie questions

Post by classicone »

Hello,
Hope all is going well with your refit. The doo-hickie your talking about, I think is a receptacle for the emergency rudder arm. My Quest doesn't have one, but I have always thought it would be a great addition to my safety equipment. I know of no one manufacturing these off the shelf.
Take your fabricator a case of beer this time!!! Metal Smiths are always in demand around my boat.
Terry