Crushed Bulkhead

Discuss all things about Prouts

Moderators: klaus53123, classicone, Brad, moderators

Dragonfly

Crushed Bulkhead

Post by Dragonfly »

Hello, I am new to the forum. I placed an offer on a Prout Quest 33CS and I look forward to be a Prout owner.

However, I have a concern. The boat was hit by another boat on the port side, next to the shrouds. The aft bulkhead inside is sheared in two places at the bottom, and in one place at the top at the opening of the port aft cabin. There is more damage to the bulkhead (1/2"-12mm plywood) between the door opening and the hull.

Is this a structural bulkhead (the owner says no). But it looks to me that the loads of the mast might the transferred by the bulkhead to the hulls and might stiffen the cabin. If it is structural do you have any experience/suggestions on how to repair it?

I would appreciate your input. The hull was repaired from the outside, I doubt it was repaired from the inside since the headliner looks intact.

By the way, what does CS stand for. I will inspect it a little closer tomorrow Sunday.

Cheers and thanks,

Walter
Dragonfly 800
Hopefully Prout Quest
ChrisH

Re: Crushed Bulkhead

Post by ChrisH »

Hi Walter,

I have a Quest 31, not too dissimilar from what you are after. From what you say and from thinking of my boat I would consider the bulkhead to be structural, or at the very least contribute to the overall structural rigidity, and if it was me would want it competently repaired prior to purchase. However, you will no doubt be getting a surveyor to give the boat a full survey before signing on the dotted line, see what the surveyor says.

Where is the boat, UK or outside the UK? And is the boat ashore or afloat?

Regards,
Chris

PS. I had my boat lifted out a couple of seasons ago and was horrified when the the sides of the hull bulged inwards because the strops were in the wrong place. I will never use that yards again! Last year I was lifted out by a yard who knew what they were about - they took over 15 minutes making sure the strops were in exactly the right place, and again thinking about it, the strops are placed where the for'd and aft bulkheads are and so do support the hull, so yes, I do think they are structural.
Dragonfly

Post by Dragonfly »

Thanks for your input Chris,

The location of the straps and the bulkhead makes lots of sense. I was going to drop the price of my first offer to cover for the bulkhead repair, but he did not accept it.

My problem is that the more I read the more I like the Prouts.
ChrisH

Post by ChrisH »

Hi,
I think Prouts are very good, comfortable, safe, seaworthy, family crusing boats. They are well proven over many years. But I would not up my offer if the bulkhead required repair. Either the owner repairs the damaged bulkhead, or accepts a lower offer for you to repair it, or you look elsewhere - those are my thoughts! There are other boats out there for sale, and now not too many prospective purchasers in the current economic climate is the way I look at it! And whatever you do, get a survey done before signing the contract!

Regards, Chris