SONIC LEG LIFTING

Discuss all things about Prouts

Moderators: klaus53123, Brad, classicone, moderators

garyf

SONIC LEG LIFTING

Post by garyf »

Hello All,
I am new to the forum and prout (and catamaran), ownership.

I have just bought a 26 sirocco.
The boat came with the addition of a hydraulic lifting ram for the sonic saildrive leg, which has seized (common I am told by the surveyor). I want to replace it with the simpler pulley and rope system I have seen on some prout 31's.
Has anyone got any photos for the routing and type of block/tackle required to achieve this, in particular the routing of the rope back to the cockpit,

thanks

gary
ChrisH

Re: SONIC LEG LIFTING

Post by ChrisH »

Hi Gary,
I have this system on my Quest 31. Am going down to the boat this week; if I can remember I will take a picture for you but basically it's just a small pulley system off the bottom of the leg then through to a cleat in the engine bay. Look here again in just over a weeks time and I hope I will have a picture or two for you - worth a thousand words and all that!

One thing to watch with this system though, ALWAYS remember to ensure that the drive is locked after the leg is lowered - give the engine a kick ahead and you should hear it 'clonk' into lock. A friend of mine a few years ago didn't, went astern, the prop pulled the leg upwards to meet the aft deck, the prop then wrapped around the pulley rope and lo, the leg a major twisted foul-up, and a new leg was required at just over 2 grand (sterling) as it was cheaper than trying to rebuild the leg apparently. Expensive mistake!

Regards, Chris
ChrisH

Re: SONIC LEG LIFTING

Post by ChrisH »

Hi Gary,

If I can make it work I have 2 photos for you.

The first one shows the block and tackle set up, hung from a strong point on the aft deck, with the tail going off horizontally to the left (top) in the picture through the engine room transom. Well it should be horizontal, took the picture from the dingy bobbing up and down, but it's clear enough. The second picture shows the arrangement in the engine room. This was taken with the leg down, so the rope is nearly out. The knot in the rope by the transom hole serves two purposes, one is obviously not to let too much rope out, (or all out!), the other lets me know if the knot is at the hole then I have just enough rope out to allow the leg to lock.

Hope this helps,
Regards, Chris
IMG_2156 RS.JPG
IMG_2156 RS.JPG (138.45 KiB) Viewed 14201 times
IMG_2153RS.JPG
IMG_2153RS.JPG (167.05 KiB) Viewed 14200 times