Rub Rail

Discuss all things about Prouts

Moderators: klaus53123, classicone, Brad, moderators

svgeru

Rub Rail

Post by svgeru »

Has anyone replaced the Rub rail on a Snowgoose?

I'm looking for information on how to replace ours.

thanks,
Geoff.
Dixie

Re: Rub Rail

Post by Dixie »

Hi Geoff,
Replaced my rubbing strake last year. Consisted of a pair of hardwood strips of 2x1inch full length port & stbd sides. These are bedded each side of the deck to hull joint flange. Onto this wooden base I have a 2.5inch wide alloy strip covering the GRP joint. the alloy strip takes a rubber D shaped fender.

The timber is fastened with 6mm stainless machine bolts, then the alloy strip is secured in the same way. Most of the work was in removing cabin/galley/heads and chart space hull linings then replacing same. All in it was quite a complex time consuming job.
Regards Dave
svgeru

Post by svgeru »

Dave,

By any chance you have any photos?

Geoff.
PVAurochs

Post by PVAurochs »

I am in the middle of a rubrail replacement on Aurochs (37' Snowgoose Classic). We have removed the old, rotting rail and cleaned up all of the bedding and caulking. I ordered a rigid PVC w/ stainless insert rail from Barbour Plastics (http://barbourcorp.com/marine-products/R1198.htm) and plan to install it on Monday. I am planning on installing upside down from the picture on their website as the inward protrusion sits on top of the hull-to-deck joint just perfectly. As we are also in the middle of a headliner project, all of the through bolts were exposed already. The old holes have been filled and we will drill new holes as we mount the new rails.

Tom
PVAurochs

Post by PVAurochs »

A couple of pictures of the rubrail project to date have been posted at: http://pleasurevesselaurochs.blogspot.com/

Tom
svgeru

Post by svgeru »

Tom,

Thanks for the link to the photos - they are helpful for our planning.

Geoff.
PVAurochs

Post by PVAurochs »

You're welcome, Geoff. I'll post some more photos as we go along and when finished. I'd be interested to know how you end up doing yours.
PVAurochs

Post by PVAurochs »

PVAurochs wrote:You're welcome, Geoff. I'll post some more photos as we go along and when finished. I'd be interested to know how you end up doing yours.
Geoff,

Happy New Year! I am wondering if you ever replaced your rub rail and what you used. Mine performed magnificently on our trip to Maine last summer and I'm very happy with the appearance.

Still in the middle of the headliner project and will get to work on it again when it warms up a bit.

Regards,

Tom
svgeru

Post by svgeru »

Tom,

We haven't replaced the rub rail yet.. we are still in the middle of moving thru-hulls up (bilge) and redoing the bottom. The boat has been sandblasted, she is currently drying out in the cold. Next will be the fairing and sanding. I don't think we'll get to the rub rail until the fall.

Geoff.
PVAurochs

Post by PVAurochs »

Thanks for the update, Geoff.

Tom
Boatguy30

Post by Boatguy30 »

My potential new boat also has this issue. I was thinking of slotting some grey PVC electrical conduit on a table saw and slipping it over the joint and the old bolts. The headliner seems to be in good shape still and don't want to mess with it. Is the joint glassed over on the inside or is the wood actually needs for a watertite hull-deck joint?
Cheers,
Jeff
PVAurochs

Post by PVAurochs »

The hull to deck joint is glassed over so the rubrail needn't be water tight. The rub rail does, however, protect the joint which could be damaged and begin to leak if you bumped along a piling a bit too hard. I would think your PVC would provide the necessary protection.

Tom