aft cockpit drainage

Discuss all things about Prouts

Moderators: klaus53123, classicone, Brad, moderators

classicone

aft cockpit drainage

Post by classicone »

Does anyone other than me get irritated with the excess water that just sits in the aft of the cockpit? I came close to drilling a hole in each side to drain out the water. Anyone else think of doing this? I'm not sure where the holes will come out. It should be a straight shot out but I'm thinking that the hull may be cored and I'm going to have to address that issue also.

Any thoughts or ideas?
ChrisH

Post by ChrisH »

Hi Terry,
I have some 'original' Prout drawings - my Quest was a home completed boat.

On one of the drawings it clearly shows 3 cockpit drains, one in the centre nacelle aft direct down via a 90 degree bend, and two others one in each aft corner of the cockpit floor - I guess these are the ones bugging you - which appear to drain horizontally, well, 'horizontally' with a slight fall.

We get some water collect in the aft cockpit corners too, which we tolerate as we don't get much as we have a sprayhood that encloses all the cockpit or can do.

I have thought about fitting drains for the cockpit floor, then keep thinking if I do fit them I'll probably loose something down it - we're forever dropping small stuff like screws or similar on the floor when I overhaul small stuff in the cockpit, hence we tolerate a little water now and again.

Get an all-over cockpit cover that you roll up the back and sides when sailing or roll down when in port. It makes for another warm room when it's cold outside but there's solar gain to be had! Helps warm and keep the boat warm in cold weather too.

If you do drill holes why not drill them to fit plastic drain pipe and epoxy or silicone seal the pipe in place. If the hull is cored then that should solve it. Need to think about following seas slapping water up into the cockpit maybe? Or cold winds blowing up around your feet, I don't know. Of course that's no problem if it's always warm when you are................

Chris
classicone

this is why I like this forum

Post by classicone »

Chris,
Thanks for the speedy reply. I removed our Bimini top to use as a template for a new one. Ours was only a top, but this is a great reason for a full enclosure.

Your answer leads to more questions. What do the drawings you have look like? I'm puzzled too. Were there lots of Prouts finished at home? I have read sales ads that referred to home completed, but never knew anyone with one. Is your Quest that much different that mine? For that matter, how would I now if mine was factory? (it does look like the sales brochures(

Thanks again, it is nice to know that Prout had designed for additional drains in these low spots.

Terry
Sailorman

cockpit drains

Post by Sailorman »

Terry,
Mine is a 1974 so may be different from yours. I have 2 horizontal drains at the back corners, about 2" diameter that sit about1/2" off the bottom so there is always 1/2" of water there. In the middle on each side is a 1/2' dia. drain fitted with a 90 degree bent copper tube that has eroded away after all these years. I took my small grinder and carefully created a shallow dished recess around each to help collect the water. I recently added a helm seat and had to drill mounting holes in the floor. From the top of the floor to the bottom of the bridgedeck, it is about 1 1/2" and seems to be filled solid with fiberglassfiller paste. I would suggest making up 2 copper tubes, bent towards the stern so you do not get water back up when a wave hits and them epoxy them into position. Hope this helps.
Ed
Classic Cleavage
1974 Prout 34 Snowgoose
ChrisH

Post by ChrisH »

I believe that home completed boats were basically hull and top on by Prout then all the fitting out done at 'home', wherever that was. I also think that Prout completed boats had a 'Prout' build plaque fitted somewhere on board - ours doesn't.

The drawings are actually pretty amateurish, well some are anyway, especially the one which shows the cockpit drains. No drawing number, date etc which you expect on a 'proper' construction drawing. There is no detail on the cockpit drains other than where they were located and the general direction the drains were to take.

If I was fitting the drains I would think I would use plastic drain pipe as it would be white in colour and thus merge in, as well as being reasonably rot resistant. Copper pipe should be OK too, don't see why it should rot, but it would stand out. You can get - this side of the pond anyway, must be able to get them your side too - like rubber flap valves to fit over the ends of pipes on the stern board or transom to stop following seas flooding in, I would fit those too. But as I say, I drop too many things in the cockpit to risk more holes! The one in the centre nacelle is enough for me and if we did get a big splash in the cockpit it would drain it fairly quickly. I have four big -1 1/2 inch dia or so - holes in the four corners of the aft deck which I keep meaning to fit with plugs for when I am working there as sooner or later I will drop something of importance down them when we are on the water - so far I have only do it when ashore in 'dry dock'

Chris