headliner blues

Discuss all things about Prouts

Moderators: klaus53123, classicone, Brad, moderators

classicone

headliner blues

Post by classicone »

Have just spent two weeks in headliner hell.

it all started with some cleaning. We are planning on spending some quality time on the boat this season, so I wanted to remove all vestiges of any mold or mildew our boat might be harboring. A mild bleach solution and a Saturday afternoon. The next day, we returned to a hanging headliner. what should I expect for a 29 year old boat right?

So we decided to batten the headliner back into place until we decide to remove the whole thing and start over. Buying, staining,varnishing, cutting and installing has taken the better part of two weeks.

Now for the problem. On our Quest 31 the balsa core sandwich doesn't extend to underneath the cabin walkaround! Much to my dismay, I didn't realize this fact until it was too late and three holes have been drilled and screws installed holding up the batten under the port side walk around! I shouldn't feel too bad. Some investigation in the heads area revealed a previous owner had done the same thing there. Looks like the balsa core only extends to about a foot along the port side from the front deck.

One solution is to bolt the headliner batten from the deck. I hate the idea of intentionally drilling holes into the deck, but I'm at a loss. I guess I could epoxy a strip of wood to the underside and mount to it. It is such a mess. As I write this, I'm leaning towards the epoxy, now to convince the wife.....

Any other ideas?

Terry
classicone

further

Post by classicone »

I opted for the epoxy. What a messy job. The headliner, glue and foam conspire to blind, choke and generally prevent you from having a pleasant day.

The holes have been filled and a piece of plywood has been installed. We shall see how it holds up tomorrow after it has kicked.

Terry
ChrisH

Post by ChrisH »

Terry,
I would agree with your epoxy-the-plywood-on strategy as being the best way, can't think of a better way, that's how the guy who did our re-headlining job did it.

When doing the headlining renewing, I know it's "teaching granny to suck eggs" stuff but do take care with the glue used to stick the headling back on. Not only do you have to wear a decent fume respirator when you're doing it - the fumes from the glues are really nasty stuff to breath, but also make sure you have nothing electric working at all - turn the batteries off. A guy in the Caribbean doing the same job blew himself through the side of his prout doing the same job because a spark ignited the fumes. Better still, get a contractor to do it and make sure has has good insurance! ( only joking - contractors cost money and money is scare these days).

Best of luck with it, Chris
Sailorman

epoxy strips

Post by Sailorman »

Terry,
I epoxied in new mounting strips in the forward berth area. . I stapled in the 2 sides and then put up some strips of oak I ripped and gave some shape on a jointer. It came out better than we hoped. Now to do the main salon the same way.
Ed
Classic Cleavage
1974 Prout 34 Snowgoose