Prout modifications and photos

Discuss all things about Prouts

Moderators: klaus53123, classicone, Brad, moderators

classicone

Prout modifications and photos

Post by classicone »

Hello everyone.
I enjoy looking at what others have done and are doing to their boats. I regularly visit the town docks to "window shop" the many different boats and the way their owners address problems. I would like to view other Prout owners fixes and modifications. Even factory our Prout cats had numerous differences.
I'll start this off....refrigeration. My Prout did not have factory refrigeration. We have a system that while not perfect, addresses this problem for the time being. We have a small portable frig/freezer and we rotate freezer packs from our freezer to our cooler. This way we have both freezer and frig. It is not space efficient, but for the now it is cost effective.
When I get out to the boat, I take a few pictures.

Terry
ChrisH

Post by ChrisH »

Hi Terry,
I would agree with you on that - looking at pictures (a picture is worth 1000 words and all that) of upgrades, modifications or just different people's slant on the same thing is so informative and thought provoking.

Look forward to your photos - we have a portable fridge/freezer which we keep in the stb.aft cabin which is not a cabin but a storage area. We have had the fridge for a number of years, apart from keeping the milk from going off and the butter firm it does wonders for cold beer and gin an' tonic! I have now bought a fridge plant with the intention of building a built-in fridge. It will be in either the stb. fwd. cabin under the bunk at the aft end or in the stb. aft cabin somewhere, currently the preferred location. When I do that I will try post a few photos too.

Chris
Sailorman

refrigeration

Post by Sailorman »

We stopped using the "ice chest" under the forward berth and now haul a cooler to the boat each trip. Works fine in the cooler months but not very good in the hotter months. I have been considering a 12v/propane Dometic unit like used in the Geminis but alittle concerned about the extra heat and where to put it. I am thinking just into the starboard aft "cabin", so is right next to the galley and then to vent out to the raised structure between the cabinhouse and the cockpit. Has anyone seen a propane fridge in a Prout?
Ed
Classic Cleavage
1974 Prout 34 Snowgoose
svgeru

Re: Prout modifications and photos

Post by svgeru »

We have an Adler Barbour 12V unit which worked wonderfully while we spent two years down south. It has water cooling which I never got around to hooking up.

You can see photos of the freezer enclosure under our stern starboard berth : http://svgeru.blogspot.com/2007/07/we-have-freezer.html

Geoff.
PVAurochs

Re: Prout modifications and photos

Post by PVAurochs »

My Snowgoose used to have a propane frig mounted outboard in the galley just before the bunkhead to the aft cabin. It connected to the gas line that serves the cooktop and stove and vented to vent mounted on the cabin topside just aft of the starboard window. Before I bought the boat in 1995 it had been removed and replaced with a cupboard.

Tom