seeking general info

Discuss all things about Prouts

Moderators: klaus53123, classicone, Brad, moderators

jo and mal

seeking general info

Post by jo and mal »

Mal and I bought our Prout Cat "OMAZEY" 45ft in Dec 07. She is a beautiful boat with lovely timber finish down below. Just wondering if anyone can give us more background on her history. We do know she was built in Dartmouth UK ,launched in 1998 and was sailed to the Trinidads where she stayed for four years. We are based at Hamilton Island, Whitsundays Qld Australia. Any info would be appreciated.[[/list]
omazey

Re: seeking general info on Omazey

Post by omazey »

Dear Omazey owners

I recently found your request for info on the web and have now set up an account to reply. I was the first owner of Omazey. I ordered the boat from Prout in december 1996 and she was delivered to us in June 1997 at Burnham marina in UK which Prout used as the delivery marina. She was the 20th prout 45 built and had the Tall rig fitted after number 17.
On build I specified a number of minor changes to the normal fit out.
Notably the fwd starboard cabin, which was subsequently fitted out again. I had the stern gantry built in Dartmouth after we moved it there for a couple of months fit out prior to our departure and then we sailed to the Caribbean on about 7 sept 1997.
We should perhaps pursue this discussion elsewhere and for that purpose please use our email ourpandorasbox@yahoo.co.uk. I am not sure that all members wish to hear more necessarily. Please advise what you think best.
One detail is the derivation of the name OMAZEY.
When we ordered the boat we struggled hard to think of a name for her. In the end we joined up the names of our 2 black cats. AMY and ZOE, which is why there are/were cat transfers on the hull and boom, so that Amy and Zoe could watch where we were going.

Let me know if you want more. We had a great time onboard until we sold Omazey in Trinidad in late 2002 or was it 2003. Must check up.

have fun

Norman
Jonathan and Astrid

Re: seeking general info

Post by Jonathan and Astrid »

Dear Jo and Mal,

I've just seen your info request. We bought Omazey from Norman and Pauline in Trinidad in October 2003. Astrid and I moved aboard with our two daughters, then aged 4 and 6, and after cruising the Caribbean for a year we set off through the Panama Canal, across the South Pacific to NZ and finally Aus, arriving there in Sept 2006. With heavy hearts we sold Omazey to Rod and Sue in November of that year. See http://www.getjealous.com/omazey .

She IS a beautiful boat as well as being solid and dependable, and we miss her dreadfully. As for additions/replacements; all standing rigging was replaced July 2004 and a watermaker was added at that time. We gave her a new genoa in NZ 2005, and other than refurbishing all the interior upholstery no other major changes were made.

We'd love to hear of her movements over the past 3 years and how she's doing, please drop a line to omazey(at)hotmail.com.

Jonathan