Engine Noise

Discuss all things about Prouts

Moderators: klaus53123, classicone, Brad, moderators

sa1piper

Engine Noise

Post by sa1piper »

Hi - I am a new owner of a 1984 Quest CS33 equipped with a Yanmar 3gmd-20. When I bought the boat, the owner had removed the fold-up table from in front of the engine for refinishing. The refinishing job never dried properly, so I've been forced to run the engine with the access port wide-open as I motor the boat up the ICW from FL to NJ. I initially tried covering the access port with a plywood panel, but this caused the engine to run too hot and I'd rather deal with the noise than with an overheated engine. My question is twofold - 1.) Does the table installation allow airflow into the engine? (i.e. - around the sides or something?? I've never seen the table installed.) 2.) has anyone tried to quiet the noise with a "baffle box" or sound-absorbing material in the engine compartment?

Thanks for any help or suggestions,
Paul
classicone

engine too hot?

Post by classicone »

The opening on my Quest 31 the panel on the front of the engine compartment is totally sealed. I was more worried about starving the engine for intake air rather than heat.
I can't imagine that your overheating condition is related to this panel. Normal installations of engines in boats require small hot compartments.
What indications did you have of overheating?
sa1piper

engine noise...

Post by sa1piper »

The engine didn't actually overheat (i.e. no alarm or warnings), but the alternator belt started smoking a short time after covering the panel with plywood. I also am worried about air starvation - the yanmar is running GREAT with plenty of air.. it just gets LOUD after sitting next to it for 14hrs at a clip. - Paul
Brad

Post by Brad »

This seems like a good insulating product. I haven't used it yet, but plan to at least try a little out. If anybody has had any first hand experience, please let us know.

http://www.sailorssolutions.com/index.a ... Item=SPM01

Hard to imagine that you will starve a small Yanmar of oxygen.
ChrisH

Post by ChrisH »

Hi sa1piper,
We have a (fairly new) Beta 20hp 3 cyl. diesel. I have lined the engine compartment on our Quest 31 with foil faced engine insulation - the type with a thin lead layer in the middle - but I did make 2 insulation lined air inlet ducts in the front panel, under what will have the cockpit table fixed over when I get round to fitting it. Suffered no overheating problems due to the fairly limited air intakes but have suffered overheating problems (alarm came on!) at odd times after fitting a Blakes seacock type water inlet in place of the old ball valve inlet. The Blakes valve has a 'perforated' type plate over the inlet opening and I think it is restricting the water flow too much. Will open the perforation out to try and solve the problem, but need to dry out for that!

We have a 70amp alternator fitted. Beta advise that an extraction fan should be fitted, wired to come on when the engine is started. I thought they had got it wrong at first and they wanted a supply fan, but no, it was an extraction fan, sucking the air from above the alternator, to get rid of excess heat and keep the alternator drive belt cool - which is the problem you had. Have not fitted it yet but I do have the bits to do so and will do it soon - yet another job to do - but also so far have not had any problems with overheating.

Hope this is of interest.
Chris