capsize and escape hatch?

Discuss all things about Prouts

Moderators: klaus53123, classicone, Brad, moderators

moocher

capsize and escape hatch?

Post by moocher »

Is there any history of a Prout Snowgoose ever capsizing? If yes, does anyone know where the water line is likely to be when the hulls are inverted? Do I need to fit an escape hatch? Where is the best location? I was thinking anout in the nacelle under the aft sectionof the saloon floor? Previous owner has installed hatches in the aft sloping ceilings at the end of each of the aft cabins but I'm not sure whether these would be under water if capsized?
I know, I know - the best strategy is to avoid any risk of a capsize but I guess I want to be prepared to deal with potential emergencies.
Moocher aboard Snowgoose 37 Shamali
PVAurochs

Escape Hatch

Post by PVAurochs »

Moocher,

Shortly after I bought my Snowgoose in 1995 I read an article where the author made a disparaging remark about "British catamarans" capsizing. I wrote to Prout and encouraged them to respond to this chap. I also asked them what they knew of Prouts capsizing. I received a response from them saying that they knew of only one Prout capsizing and it was a boat that had an extended mast and was racing in 35 mph winds.

Additionally, the previous owner of my boat was planning on participating in the West Marine rally to the islands and the organizers wanted him to install an escape hatch. He wrote to Prout asking about this and they strongly recommended NOT doing so. Instead they recommended carrying an axe on board.

I see that your post was back in May. I would be interested in knowing if you decided to install a hatch.

Tom
Brad

Post by Brad »

I have heard that the racing boat had no finished interior boat also. So it was real light and had bad center of gravity. I don't think capsizing is a very big issues with Prouts.
ChrisH

Post by ChrisH »

I have heard the same story as Brad - and also believe capsizing was no real issue with Prouts. From what I have heard the rig is deliberately low aspect and spacing of hulls relatively wide to give good stability with a low 'turning over' moment - they seemed to have been designed as safe, relatively slow, family cruising boats not hairy racers!

ChrisH
moocher

Post by moocher »

thanks for the feedback folks. It is somewhat reassuring, except for the bit about Prout's being wide in the beam - 16'3" for the Snowgoose elite version - which makes her one of the narrowest catamarans around, certainly at least where we are sailing on the Australian East Coast, where most of the modern cats of a similar length have around an extra 10' beam.
We undertook an extensive upgrade of safety features (life tags, chart plotter with AIS, new VHF radio with DSC, MOB recovery gear, reinforcd aft deck and davits , etc., etc.) on purchasing 'Shamali' in April (she was built in 1994); and we are now on a 12 month cruise, currently enjoying the Great Barrier Reef off the Queensland coast in the Coral Sea.
No, we did not finally put in an escape hatch but the prospect of capsize still occupies our minds occasionally and makes us conservative sailors. I think we will purchase that axe though at our next port of call.
We did mount the liferaft canister vertically on the aft pushpit liferail so that it could still be accessed from a capsized position.
cheers
Moocher
Moocher aboard Snowgoose 37 Shamali
ChrisH

Post by ChrisH »

Wide beam is a relative term, relative to other cats of the same vintage, and also to some of today's vintage in Europe, compared to sail area and mast height, that is, low or high aspect rigs.

However, purchase of an axe is recommended, kept in the cockpit and readily available, because of no other reason than if close hauled and a strong gust catches you and you cannot bear away quick enough so that the windward hull lifts out the water alarmingly, you might need the axe to free the genoa sheets in a hurry if they are jammed and you cannot dump the genoa to get the windward hull back in the water before it flips too high! It may be an extreme condition, but it is extreme conditions that result in the problems!!

Anyway Moucher, I'm only jealous that you're sailing the area you are - oh what the majority of Brits, me in the lead, would give to sail in such warm water conditions that you do. Even in summer on the UK South Coast it can be damn cold for a warfarin taker like me! Your winters are a damn site warmer than our summers - happy sailing, enjoy.

ChrisH
marc

Post by marc »

Hi folks-doesn't the shallow draft and capacity to slide slip to lee limit the risk of capsize? Marc
ChrisH

Post by ChrisH »

Yes - it helps!