Sea anchors & drogues

Discuss all things about Prouts

Moderators: klaus53123, classicone, Brad, moderators

Sailorman

Sea anchors & drogues

Post by Sailorman »

I am reading the DDDB (Drag Device Data Base) by Victor Shane and is much more enjoyable than I expected.
There are a few Prouts listed in the 120 case studies. I am wondering if anyone here has used a parachute off the bows or tried a drogue off the stern. And if so, where did you attach the bridle?
Classic Cleavage
1974 Prout 34 Snowgoose
Sailorman

parachute anchor arrived today

Post by Sailorman »

Shortly after I posted this, I came across one on Craig's List for $150 and bought it. It arrived today, looks unused and includes the deployment back and trip line. It is only a 9 ft dia one, really too small for severe conditions but should be a good size for moderate wind/waves and good to practice with. Now to make a good bridle for it.
Ed
Classic Cleavage
1974 Prout 34 Snowgoose
classicone

dddb?

Post by classicone »

Thanks for the post. Until I read the above, I had not even heard of the DDDB. How do you plan on deploying the chute? Have you backed up the cleats on the bows and attached rollers?
Terry
Sailorman

deploying the chute

Post by Sailorman »

Terry - it came with a deployment bag - you just toss it in the water and connect to your bridle. Of course, now I need to configure a bridle and where to attach it. I am thinking to add a large backing plate and mounting point as close to the bows as feasible. One advantage of the small 9 ft dia is that I can practice in moderate conditions and get comfortable with it and not worry about large loads initially.

I got the book thru the inter-library loan system, took about a week for them to find a copy for me.
Ed
Classic Cleavage
1974 Prout 34 Snowgoose
classicone

drag mounting

Post by classicone »

Have you considered ubolts through the bows? Well backed up of course. Honestly, I haven't given any thought to this kind of mounting, but I wonder if that location would improve the boat's performance, not attempting to bury the bows in a large seaway. Any thoughts?