Sinking...????

Discuss all things about Prouts

Moderators: klaus53123, classicone, Brad, moderators

captfolly

Sinking...????

Post by captfolly »

wondered if anyone knows if the snowgoose 37 will still float if both hulls are holed??? is there enough buoyancy in the cored deck to at least keep the boat afloat...??...or will the boat go to the bottom like a stone?

George
classicone

holed?

Post by classicone »

George, I hope your not talking about your Snowgoose! Are there flotation compartments at the ends of your hulls? My Quest has glassed in flotation and I hope that with the cored deck and maybe even some additional buoyancy from the water tankage if they are sealed well and not totally full will help to float the hull until help arrives. Why do you ask?
captfolly

Post by captfolly »

was just wondering...our snowgoose bows have a round access hatch that when screwed down is pretty watertight...don't know about watertight compartments in the stern...I don't think so...a liferaft would be nice, but mucho $$$...if the boat floats maybe we could make do without...we just had survival suits bringing the boat down from boston...but we were in the icw most of the time...might fill the forward bow areas with empty 2 liter soda containers to insure buoyancy...boat projects have just about come to a standstill with this cold weather(snow flurries in charleston tonight..!!!)

George
svgeru

Post by svgeru »

The snowgoose 37 has water tight compartments in each bow and Sterm. If you look in the bow it's often through a round hole - you will notice the floor is flat in there and doesn't follow the hull - that is the water tight compartment. The same type of thing is in the stern.

As for sinking - I have heard a story about a prout (34 ?) that had a hole in the port hull such that you could see the nav station from outside - the boat was sailed back to shore with the boat listing and the holed hull having about a foot or two of water in it. The center and other hull had more than enough buoyancy. As for if both are holed.... I don't know.

Geoff
captfolly

Post by captfolly »

hey Geoff.

the bow compartments have a "floor" above the bottom, but it does not come all the way back to the bulkhead with the round access hatch...so they don't form a watertight area...I thought they were just bow hull stiffeners...I'll have to check the sterns, so many other projects to complete...:?... we're trying to move aboard as soon as we can... :D

fair winds,

George
svgeru

Post by svgeru »

George,
That's interesting - the floor in the bow of our Prout does go back to the bulkhead, which does go all the way down.

Here is a link to what our bow looks like :

http://file2.ws/1347