Prout registry and other musings

Discuss all things about Prouts

Moderators: klaus53123, classicone, Brad, moderators

ChrisH

Post by ChrisH »

Hi Terry,

Thanks for the info on the AirHead unit. Sounds very good and am most interested but at approx 1000USD plus shipping to the UK it's out of my league at the moment - us retired folk in the UK are counting the pennies, the costs of everything is shooting up and we're in dire straits here in the UK as the country goes slowly bust thanks to our dearly beloved leader Brown the clown.

Haven't found anything like the AirHead here at the moment but will keep an eye out for it or something similar. It's bound to happen here sooner or later. I like also the lack of holes in the hull with this unit, always a good idea! Except that I spent nearly 250GBP on expensive Blakes bronze seacocks last year for the khazi - like everything, you get what you pay for and they are the best, but I need to get my dosh back on that!

Chris
ChrisH

Post by ChrisH »

Hi George,

Must have been tired - thought the holding tank was under the khazi (gravity fed to that, not overboard!), forgot it was a Lavac, doh!

Loved all the pictures - so interesting seeing how others do things on similar boats, you pick up some great ideas that way, keep 'em coming! Not sure I'd go for the multicoloured floral arrangement on your prop though.............

Chris
svgeru

Post by svgeru »

I thought I'd chime in here...

George - it's nice to see what you've done with (Amazing) Grace. We looked at her about 3 years ago and she was a real mess, but from the pictures it looks like you've done a wonderful job.

Flow through holding tanks - We also installed one on our Snowgoose 37 and have been using it for the last two and a half years as full time cruisers down the East coast and the Caribbean. It is Great, however some things to be aware of... if you are in a no discharge zone, then head out to sea and open the valve, it sometimes doesn't work. The reason is the solids will settle down to where the Y is between the deck and Thru-hull. Normally some shaking of the pipes is all that is needed... however once we needed to shove a smaller hose down (from the access hatch on the tank). On that note you DO want an access hatch on the top so you can clean out the tank by putting a hose in and spraying around the tank.

Geoff
svgeru.blogspot.com
captfolly

Post by captfolly »

Hey Geoff,

...from your position reports you look like you're having quite the cruise... :D ...

...we had the first temporary holding tank setup that we used from boston to charleston stop up a bit once...I blocked the vent and pressurized the tank with the lavac hand pump and everything went out fine... :D ...with our finished installation I am going to put a ball valve in the vent line so I can "blast" out solids whenever needed...

Geoff...what was the cause of the outdrive vibration problems you were having just before you left florida...?..we don't have any big outdrive problems yet, but want to try to avoid them!

fair winds,

George
svgeru

Post by svgeru »

George,
We haven't figured out the outdive problem yet, we have simply been running the engine at lower RPM. On our trip back to Canada we probably will need to run at a higher RPM due to the current on the St. Laurent, we'll see what we end up doing....

Geoff.
Nylrad

Re: LED lights

Post by Nylrad »

Sailorman wrote:Terry,
I have purchased some the of ULITE Round LED Accent Light accent lights from here: http://www.superbrightleds.com/mini_tubes.htm

The 3 LED red ones do a great job for night lights and I have one white 3 LED one in the head that provides plenty of light. At only $4 each, it is hard to go wrong. I bought my LED masthead lights from there also. As of this spring, I will no longer have any incandesant lighting in my boat.
Ed
LED lights are much more advantageous then incandescent light expect bit high in purchasing cost. Wit very high efficiency and long life they are surely future light solutions.